Saturday 27 November 2010

The Best Riffs of All Time ... really.

Sooner or later, I would have to do this post. I've been compiling a mental list in my head after listening all week to Zane Lowe's "Masterpieces" show, where he unbelievably has been playing whole LPs (albums in other words) of some of the classic Popular music albums to ever grace this earth. The first; I was simply astonished that Radio 1 has such good tase (well, namely, Zane Lowe) with the White Stripes' classic Elephant. The next day was another enlightening experience for me- The Smiths' The Queen is Dead. Hearing both very established and beautiful pieces of work all the way through, no interruptions was a rite of passage. I recommend the programme, Radio 1 can be accessed all over the world, you have no excuse! Zane Lowe's cute. He's an indie snob, but aren't we all at times? If you're into that kind of thing. So, I'm in a mood for a list (I'm slighty OCD in certain things, that's why I'm a snob in certain things like riot grrrl and Pearl Jam- freaky)


Without further ado, here is a list of the best riffs of all time, that make us feel ecstatic, excited, tingle, sad or crazy. They should all have the impact to make us dance like idiots. Chosen by sheer musical power they were selected by my mum, Last.Fm, any thing I've heard of people's opinions. and I, pretty much off the top of my head. Prone to disagreement, but see how many you agree on, or what I've missed out that's 'disgraceful'. It's all a matter of fun :D

The Oldies (from the beginning of time, into our hearts forever)

Derek and the Dominoes- "Layla"


No disagreement? I thought not. One of the only singe-able riffs, melody lines in the history of music. Makes us all feel good and scream as high and loud as we possible can when at a wedding or so "LAAYLAA!!" It's so god damn beautiful, it's makes my spine tingle with anticipatement.

Cream- "Sunshine of Your Love
One that every dad in the room can go : " da da da da da da da da daaaa da" to. A song that has that power is a song worth listing.


Blue Oyster Cult- "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"

My mum's suggestion... very, very ascetically pleasing.


Iggy Pop- "Louie Louie"


Yes. YES, YES, YES. Covered by many a thousand for its simplicity and absolute element of KICK-ASS. Plus, everybody knows that 'ay, ay, ay, AY' bit at the end of the progression, much loveable. I realise this isn't the original original, but there's been so many, and in my opinion, this one is the best.


The Kinks- "All The Day and All Of The Night"
Every radio station can play it like the world is coming to the end... perfect use of this track has to be on the film The Boat That Rocked ... greatest intro to a film ever.

Guns'n'Roses- "Sweet Child O' Mine"


Did I even need to confirm this? I think that guitar stabs everyone in the heart everytime with its beauty.

Guns'n'Roses- "Paradise City"

To feature on the list twice in one list means almost royalty. I think this song should be America's national anthem.
Okay, well Axl Rose is an idiot, but the music's good, and they made it twice on this godly list, so hell, they must be good.


Jimi Hendrix Experience- "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"


Words shall express little for this epic line. For Megan, and all those merry gentlemen and gentleladies who have a thing for Jimi. All hail Seattle, city of Gods.


Boston- "More Than a Feeling"


This used to make me feel so happy. Now it just makes me feel happier. That chord sequence! AHhhh!


Eagles- "Hotel California"


Once you've heard it once in a day, you're stuck. Melancholy feeling, summer music, great lyrics: it's got it all.



Sex Pistols- "God Save The Queen"

It's mean, cause it's keen. The power of this riff nearly threw a monastry apart!
'Cause "We mean it maaaaaaaaan" I mean this is epic.


The Undertones- "Teenage Kicks"
I would like to thank John Peel, that guitar, those vocals, my mum, the autobiography of John Peel and my CD player to which I discovered this beauty.

The Newbies- ( mid-90's onwards)


Nirvana- "Smells Like Teen Spirit"


Not the best Nirvana song arguably, but undoubtedly the the most recognized and iconic riff of the last generation. Rumoured to be taken from the Boston riff above. Kurt Cobain once said everything was recycled in Rock. He was right. To date, riffs are taken from 30 odd years ago, mixed and carefully hidden in a pop song. But the clever people of the public aren't fooled one bit.


Oasis- "Wonderwall"


Not just a riff. A wonder of humankind. We love you Noel!


Blur- "Song 2"

Obviously. Duhhh.


Hole- "Celebrity Skin"

Everybody's heard it. Not all actually know who it was by. One of the best, but most annoying simultaneously. Billy Corgan, thank you.


Muse- "Plug In Baby"


Painful. High. Slighty eccentric. All names for beauty.


Muse- "Supermassive Black Hole"


Not many have the oppurtunity to appear TWICE on the list, never mind once. Congratulations, Bellamy.

Arctic Monkeys- "I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor"

You're an explosion, you're dynamite indeed, Alex Turner. Thank You, dude.


Foo Fighters- "The Pretender"


Nice arpeggio, Davey G.


The White Stripes- "Seven Nation Army"


Again, another of those rareties that you can actually hum along to (thank you, Lowe) . Albeit, with a low voice like a man. Jack White has made the once thought impossible, posssible.




That was honestly one of the most enjoyable blog posts ever. And the longest. I just love the classics, the authencitity (which, on the day of my pop exam, I have written this term too much) and completely pure.
Comment if you've got any more to add. This is probably my last post until christmas, where my time is now consumed with Mock Exams. Maybe I should have an exam on this? Wait, oh yeah, I've already done one of those today.

Thank you.

Peace, Empathy, Love and phenomenal guitar riffs.

riotgrrllivesx

No comments:

Post a Comment